New Media Advocacy Project (NMAP) and the International Partnership for Human Rights (IPHR) invite applications for a 10-month mentorship program “Rights Reframed” designed to support activists in creating and distributing media advocacy projects that challenge the way human rights are framed in countries of the former Soviet Union. Learn more…
Over the course of the program, participants will:
- Produce and distribute one media-based advocacy piece on a human rights issue of their choosing
- Receive in-depth mentoring on media advocacy and production from NMAP
- Form focus groups and conduct guided research on local media landscapes and current biases that discredit human rights issues
- Participate in one to two-hour remote meetings twice a month with a New York- based media production mentor, who will support participants in the conception, production, and distribution of their media
- Receive a small production grant to produce their projects
The program is seeking 10 participants from the following former Soviet countries: Ukraine, Moldova, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate:
- An awareness of the human rights situation in their country and the current negative messaging around human rights issues
- A creative project idea that addresses a specific human rights issue or case, which may include civil and political rights or economic, social, and cultural rights
- A capacity for and openness to reframing current human rights messaging in their country
- A commitment to human rights work/issues; participants with an established network in the human rights space and/or contacts in local or national media are strongly preferred
- Some knowledge of media production is preferred, though strong project concepts are the most important factor
- Working knowledge of English language is a strong asset, but not required
Applicants representing ethnic, religious, linguistic, and/or sexual minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline: July 25, 2018 at 23:59 EST
Please send applications to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for Rights Reframed 2018”. Those accepted to the program will be notified by August 10, 2018.
Check out our Call for Applications guide to learn more about the program.